About the Brockport Vietnam 13 Week Summer Program
The Brockport Vietnam Program in Danang provides participants an international adventure in an exciting, safe, friendly, and historically rich community with a political system and social traditions that are fascinating. Participants will take classes in language, culture, politics, and history from professors that also teach at Danang University (the state university), Duy Tan University (a private university), and The School of Politics (a state political education institute). Each institution will expose students to different philosophies and teaching approaches in Vietnam. Students also perform community service at a variety of locations including a group home for disabled children, nursing home, teaching English to local students, etc.
Vietnam Program Handbook (pdf): VietnamHndb-1.pdf
Danang is the capital of Central Vietnam, about 400 miles midway between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). The small city is on the shore of the beautiful South China Sea and the Han River. It is a safe, tropical, quiet city that reflects a rich culture and tradition. Once the scene of a massive US military build-up, it now welcomes the Brockport Vietnam Program and its students as friends. The city is proximate to the mountains, seashore, museums, historical sites, tropical forests, recreational facilities, and a variety of fascinating activities. English is a fast-developing second language in the city. Americans are welcomed, not with a recollection of the past, but with a focus on the present and the future. Exciting shopping, recreation, eating, and social resources are everywhere.
The Brockport Vietnam Program offers you the opportunity to:
- Build bridges of friendships between our two nations,
- Live and study in a vibrant developing city in a comfortable yet challenging academic atmosphere,
- Improve your understanding of Vietnamese Language, Culture, History, and its traditions,
- Study Vietnamese language at any level of proficiency,
- Be privately tutored in Vietnamese Language outside of regular instruction,
- Receive instruction in courses specifically designed for program participants in English.
Your experience in Vietnam will:
- Provide the opportunity to experience the satisfaction of helping local Vietnamese through community service sponsored by US charitable fund
- Foster development of a deeper understanding of yourself and Vietnam,
- Change your view of the world,
- Change the world.
In Vietnam, you will:
- Live with other program students in our spacious program house with modern facilities (internet, air conditioning in bedrooms, some ensuite bathrooms, lounge with TV, and karaoke, etc...)
- Enjoy home cooked meals by program staff (breakfast, lunch and dinner), daily room and linen cleaning, daily laundry service,
- Receive comprehensive orientation from Resident Director and Vietnamese staff upon arrival,
- Enjoy an extensive program of field trips and excursions,
- Have numerous and continual opportunities to interact with local Vietnamese and participate in traditional ceremonies and holiday celebrations.
Housing & Orientation
The Brockport Vietnam Program is housed in a building which includes housing for the student participants. The building is air-conditioned. The students share double bedrooms. Television, radio, telephone, recreation, and computer services are available. Meals (included in the cost) are prepared by the staff, and laundry will also be done by the staff.
Orientation materials will be provided to each participant after acceptance and enrollment in the program. These consist of basic English-Vietnamese language materials, cultural and historical information, and detailed materials to assist in preparation for the experience in Vietnam. A one-week orientation program will be completed during the first week in Danang to familiarize students with the community, resources, and other relevant information.
Fees for Brockport's Vietnam [13 Week] Summer 2016 Program
Undergraduate Summer Program Costs
$10,745.00 (Estimated NYS Resident Costs - 15 Credits)
$10,957.00 (Estimated Out of State Resident Costs - 15 Credits)
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- TUITION (15 credits)
- SUNY International Health Insurance*
- Various Campus fees (college fee, technology fee, etc.)**
- Program acceptance fee
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- On-site Orientation Program
- All Course Textbooks
- ALL MEALS
- Full Program of Field Trips
- Housing (double occupancy rooms)
- Airport Pick-Up
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services (including the presence of our Vietnam-based Resident Director)
- Round trip airfare (to and from Vietnam)
- Local travel
- Personal Expenses
This estimate does not include the purchase of clothing; travel in Vietnam outside of the excursions/field trips organized by the program.
- The group flight will cost participants between $2,100.00 (depending on departure/return dates, the point of origin of any connecting flights in the US, etc.).
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial aid applies towards fees.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
Click on an outline for more information:
Language Course Outline: language.pdf
Culture Course Outline: culture.pdf
Politics Course Outline: politics.pdf
Community Service Course Outline: cs course outline.pdf
History Course Outline: history.pdf
Students earn 15 credits (divided between the seminars and the community service activities) for a spring, summer or fall semester of participation. All credits earned in the Brockport Vietnam Program will be counted towards undergraduate degree requirements for graduation. Non-SUNY students and students who wish to use these credits for their academic major and/or minor should consult with their home campus academic departments prior to participation.
Letter grades for the courses taken will be transmitted to the participant's home campus Registrar via the Brockport supplement at the conclusion of the semester. Graduate students who wish to contract through the program to use the program for additional research activities may do so.
Each participant will take courses in language, culture, history, and politics from professors from Danang University (the state university), Duy Tan University (a private university), the School of Politics (a state political education institute), and other Vietnamese scholars. Each of these professors will expose students to different philosophies and teaching approaches in Vietnam. These seminars will take place for three hours a day, Monday through Thursday. Participants will also engage in educational activities by providing service in the community for two hours or more four afternoons per week, M - Th. There are occasional weekend service activities. These activities may range from work in a group home for disabled children; in a local nursing home; food and clothing distribution in poor, mountainous villages; service in urban or rural healtlh clinics; etc. Also, each student will spend one hour each week teaching English to local university students in a community continuing education program in Danang. There will be a road trip of Vietnam from Danang to Hanoi and another to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
View a list of the possible academic subjects offered by the Brockport Vietnam Summer Program as well as all of Brockport's university programs in Asia, here: Academic Subjects- Programs in Africa and Asia.pdf
"Vietnam: an unforgettable place, with unforgettable people, and most importantly, an unforgettable semester. Thanks for the opportunity!"
"The Vietnam Program was an amazing experience that allowed me to grow as an individual and gain new skills. The various service works were organized very well and allowed us to work with a wide variety of people and people I will never forget. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to take part in this unique program."
"I studied on Brockport's Program, and this turned out to be one great adventure. Not only did I learn about the customs, history and culture of a land I had no prior knowledge of beforehand, but I also learned a great deal about myself. I have left Vietnam having a greater understanding and respect for another culture as well as many lifelong friendships. All in all, studying in Vietnam was an experience that I will never forget!"
Candra's Video: "My Real Experience in Vietnam"
Students leave US on 5/16/2016
Program runs until 8/12/2016
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.