About the Waterford Institute of Technology Social Work Program
Waterford Institute of Technology is one of the largest institutes in Ireland. It was established as a Regional Technical College in 1970, and was the first to be awarded Institute of Technology status in 1990. Over the period of this process, and as a result of an international quality review, the Institute was granted delegated authority by the National Council for Educational Awards to confer its own Certificates and Diplomas.
Waterford is a city and a port located in the South East of the country. It is the designated gateway to the SE Region, with good shopping, social life and facilities for sport and recreation. Waterford is an ancient walled city with many interesting remains and attractive buildings and its most famous export is the unique Waterford Crystal.
Visit the website at: www.wit.ie
The Waterford Institute of Technology Program offers you the opportunity to:
- Live and study in Waterford,
- Receive instruction from members of the faculty at the Waterford Institute of Technology,
- Improve your writing and research skills,
Your experience on the Waterford Institute of Technology Program will:
- Integrate you into Irish society and the Irish educational system,
- Make you a better student,
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self-esteem and self-confidence,
- Greatly enhance your career prospects.
At the Waterford Institute of Technology you will:
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study at the Waterford Institute of Technology,
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services provided by the International Office at the Waterford Institute of Technology.
Housing & Orientation
Participants will be housed in Waterford Institute of Technology on-campus accommodation. All rooms include attached (en suite) bath. The standard style of accommodation included in the cost of the program is double occupancy rooms, but single accommodation is available (at an additional cost). WIT owns and operates their own student accommodation both on the Cork Road and College Street campuses. Each apartment will have a full kitchen with living room attached for all suite mates to share. The apartments have pay laundry facilities in the building.
An on-campus orientation program is held prior to the beginning of each semester. All study abroad students are required to attend this orientation program.
Spring 2016 Waterford Social Work Program:
Waterford Social Work Spring 2016 EST.pdf
- TUITION (at Brockport and at the Waterford Institute of Technology)
- Program acceptance fee
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- On-site orientation upon arrival at the Waterford Institute of Technology
- Housing (double occupancy rooms)
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services.
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Health Insurance*
- Various campus-specific fees** (college fee, technology fee, etc.)
- Housing Security Deposit
- Utilities for Campus Housing
- Airfare to and from Ireland
- Transportation while in Ireland
- Irish Student Registration Fee
- Personal Expenses
Financial aid applies towards fees.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
The cost (and items included in the cost) as listed on the website are subject to change and should be considered estimates. Final budget sheets will be mailed to the student prior to departure and usually upon acceptance.
This program is a Social Work Field placement program. Interested students should connect with Ms. Debra Fromm Faria, Professor of Social Work at The College at Brockport (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
Participants in the Brockport Waterford Institute of Technology Program normally earn 15 credit hours for the semester program.
Participants are required to take a full course load (5 courses per semester) while at Waterford. All instruction in the Brockport Waterford Institute of Technology Program will be by Waterford Institute of Technology faculty.
Participants in the Brockport Waterford Institute of Technology Program are examined in the same manner (and to the same standard) as their Irish counterparts and classmates. The majority of courses in which they will enroll are examined formally at the end of the semester and in order to be awarded credit, participants must take and pass the examination at the end of the period of enrollment.
View a list of the possible academic subjects offered by the Waterford Institute of Technology as well as all of Brockport's university programs in Ireland, here: Academic Programs- Programs in Scotland and Ireland.pdf
*This program is only offered during the Spring semester.
Spring 2015(Est): Start: 1/1/15 End: 5/12/15
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.